Saturday, November 5, 2011

Russian Weddings


Saturdays are the most popular day of the week for weddings in Russia, so I decided to take my camera with me on my walk to the gym, and sure enough, I got lucky!  These newlyweds were observing some Russian wedding traditions.  After the civil ceremony, the bride and groom take a tour of the city which lasts several hours.  They visit the historic landmarks of the city and stop at important monuments to take photos.  The groom is supposed to carry the bride over seven bridges in the city, and they are to place a padlock on one of them and throw the key in the river.  This ensures that the couple will have many happy, and harmonious years of wedded bliss together! 



Carrying the bride across a bridge




A popular bridge with newlyweds!


Flowers at the World War II memorial left by the brides and grooms.


4 comments:

  1. Aww that's so sweet but at the same time weird, I love weddings. LOL ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute! And I believe it is very sweet. I admire the set up of Russian weddings. When I see it online I think it is very romantic. I have Online Russian Brides friends who's wedding is like this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice, although I am glad we don't carry our bride over seven bridges.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The flowers are nice at the memorial....

    ReplyDelete